Gyõr is the sixth most populated city in Hungary; moreover it is the third richest town in historical buildings. In recognition of the reconstruction of the Baroque city centre Gyõr received the Europe Nostra Prize in 1989, which is the award of the European Union for protecting monuments. In 2010 Gyõr won the title of cultural city of Hungary.
Its old, well-known name is Arrabona. It is the capital town of Gyõr-Moson-Sopron County, and the centre of Western Transdanubia. It is an important agricultural, industrial, ecclesiastical, educational, cultural and sport centre.
Gyõr is situated in the Vienna-Bratislava-Budapest triangle, with excellent conditions of transport, and it develops dynamically. From the motorway every quarter of the town is easy to reach. For this reason get the town its name: Gyõr is The City of Meetings.
The city is located in the eastern part of the Little Hungarian Plain (Kisalföld), it lays by the mouth of Moson-Danube, Rába and Rábca, consequently it is called ” The City of Rivers “.
Gyõr is a town of festivals where friends of the arts and those who are eager for a high-quality relaxation can find attractive programmes all the year.
We can find in every season some programmes to our taste: Four Season Festival – Spring, Mediawave International Art Festival, Hungarian Dance Festival (organized by world-famous Ballet Company of Gyõr), Four Season Festival – Summer, Baroque Nostalgia Art Festival.
Gyõr, the city of rivers and meetings waits for You!
Benedictine Church Saint Ignatius of Loyola is a two-tower, early baroque church. Present-day Hungary’s earliest baroque style church, it stands on Gyõr’s old town’s square, Széchenyi square. The religious house and the school stand since 1667.
Religious of Benedictine
8. Széchenyi square, Gyõr
The base of the Basilica of Gyõr was laid down during Saint Stephen King’s time. The tower and the sacristy was built in the time of bishop György Széchenyi (1659-1681). The baroque renewal of the church interior was made in the time of bishop Ferenc Zichy (1743-1783). Saint László herm one of Hungary’s national relics is kept in the Basilica.
The Bishop Castle stands in Gyõr’s historical downtown, on the highest dot of the Káptalan hill. This is Gyõr’s most considerable and most ancient monument beside the Basilica. The residence of the all-time Bishop of Gyõr. A magnificent circle view opens from the tower onto the landscape and the city.
Saint Kammilus Church
The copy of a shroud Torino
The authentic copy of shroud of Torino is presented first in Hungary. The ecclesiastical relic was renovated through more years, the reproduction made of the original shroud is exhibited in the Kamillus church.
The original shroud was renovated, it was put on a new linen basis and resumed the injured parts though. The copy nearly 4 and a half metre long, more than a metre wide, the size of it is equal to the original one.
The parsonage of Gyõr got the ecclesiastical relic as a present, with its presentation, they want to spread the respect of the relic. The shroud is one of the Catholic Church’s most debated relics, that preserves the imprint of Jesus Christ’s body – according to the tradition
The Rába Quelle Medicinal-, Thermal-, Pleasure Bath is located on the peninsula at the junction of Mosoni-Danube and Rába rivers. The waters of Gyõr were already mentioned in medieval chronicles, for their healing effect on a number of diseases. The water of a temperature 67 °C flushing out from thermal wells of 2000 metres dept was qualified as medical water in 1978. Rába Quelle was opened his gates on 3rd of October 2004. The bath offers a suitable service for the claims of all generations. The bath provides a cure for people who suffers from locomotor’s disorders (based on a medical referral) and a bath service.
The guests in the pleasure bath canchoose from five pools, two water-slides, artificial geysers, gargoyles, massaging mouthpieces, waterfall, a wild water channel, a Jacuzzi and paddling pool.
In the Thermal Bath, guests can use 4 different pools.
In the thermal pools (29, 32 and 38°C) guests can swim and use the horizontal and back massaging nozzles to relax and heal.
The Benedictine Abbey is one of Hungary’s outstanding historical memories, religious and art center. It is located in Gyor-Moson-Sopron County, a small region of Pannonhalma, Pannonhalma town (formerly known Gyõrszentmárton). Thanks to the attraction of the abbey and the surrounding natural givens, the town is one of the most popular target in Hungary’s tourism. The main tourist attractions, the “thousand year old monastery” has not only architectural significance, but also offers diverse collections and exhibitions of cultural relics for the visitors. Given the importance of tourism, Pannonhalma often understood only the Pannonhalma Benedictine Abbey.
The impressive buildings of the abbey was built on the St. Martin’s Hill. The Romanesque cloister, the crypt in baroque and neoclassical style, was added to the building in the course of centuries to the Abbey, which determine the image of today’s Abbey. In the building of the library (has built in the 19th century) are kept 400 thousand old books and many book curiosities.
Little Rye Island
The Little Rye Island is Hungary’s biggest island, which was built by the Danube’s river drift.
The landscape’s rich flora and fauna waits for the nature-lover tourists. The island is a paradise for the lover of canoe, kayak, line fishing and other aquatic sports.
The Danube inshore bicycle path, which is a part of the international Eurovelo-6 bicycle path, is Europe’s one most popular bicycle path. On the completely standardized bicycle track the Little Rye Island could be ridden around with a bicycle, where Mosoni-Danube flows on the right side, Old-Danube flows on the left side.
Hotel Alfa Gyõr